Executive Order 14028
Executive Order on Improving the Nation's Cybersecurity
On May 12, 2021, President Biden issued an Executive Order (EO) on “Improving the Nation’s Cybersecurity”. In it, President Biden charges multiple agencies with finding and implementing new ways to enhance their cybersecurity practices and strengthen our nation’s supply chain. Ultimately, the new EO aims to quickly:
- Improve software supply chain security standards for software sold to and used by the government
- Mandate strong cybersecurity standards including Zero Trust Architecture, using cloud services, and multi-factor authentication.
- Standardizing the processes and procedures federal agencies will use to respond to vulnerabilities and incidents
- Remove barriers to sharing of threat intelligence and breach information between government agencies and the private sector via FAR and DFARS regulations
- Establish a Cybersecurity Safety Review Board to investigate and recommend remediation after significant cyber incidents
Who is Impacted by Executive Order 14028?
Currently, Executive Order 1428 largely impacts federal agencies, however, it won’t be long until we can expect the increased regulations on federal agencies to trickle down to the private sector, ie. software manufacturers, federal contractors, etc.
Get Going Now!
As our “Exploring the Cybersecurity Executive Order’s Impact on the Threat Landscape” panelists agree, the last thing you want to do in response to the new Executive Order’s demand for greater attention to cybersecurity measures and the need for resilience and maturity is nothing. We believe the best place to start is with Zero Trust.
The new normal is a more complex cybersecurity operating environment, where we cannot completely trust the endpoints, the networks, the users, the infrastructure, the services, the supply chain, or really for that matter, anything else, when it comes to making a cybersecurity risk decision. Zero Trust’s, “Never Trust, Always Verify” principle is exactly what we recommend to ensure you’re continuously minimizing your vulnerabilities.
Recommended Executive Order 14028 Resources
Schedule Your Free Consultation!
Let the experts at Ardalyst help you figure out your next step. With free program evaluations, scoring, and recommendations, we'll help you figure out what gaps you need to address to get ahead of EO 14028 regulation.